Thursday, September 8, 2011

tiny upgrade, tiny shelf

One of my favorite hobbies is thrifting.  My daughter and I take weekly trips to Goodwill, and while I usually hope to find a particular item (right now I'm looking for unique end tables to refinish in our living room), I go in with an open mind.  I try not to go overboard and buy stuff that's completely out there.  I keep my infamous wish list in mind when I shop.

A few weeks ago, I crossed a minor bathroom upgrade off my list: "add a small shelf over the toilet." This particular bathroom is a little awkward since it's our half bath that sits under the stairs.  The toilet is sort of set back in a nook.  The whole room seems dark and cramped.  We'll work on fixing that problem later on.  For now, I found this dinky little shelf for $3.99 at Goodwill.



She's really not in horrible condition, but there were several scruff marks and scratches that I wasn't too fond of.  

But I was digging the pewter scrolly things.  So I whipped out my tiny screwdriver and removed all sixteen of those little buggers.  



Three coats of metallic spray paint did the trick.  I let it dry for about an hour (I know, it should have let it sit for at least the night, but I'm impatient when it comes to DIYing) and screwed everything back together.

And voila!  A darling little shelf, revived with a total cost of about five buckaroos.



But I sigh.  For it did not hang quite as easily as anticipated.  There are several holes laughing at me from behind the shelf.  In the end, I'm loving the little addition to our toilet nook.  Even if the only thing on it right now is a random candle I found in the laundry room.  What's ironic is that I just bought two sets of shelves (who also seem to be laughing at me for reasons I will soon explain) and I honestly don't have anything to fill them with yet either.  One thing at a time, I suppose.



So.... Puzzle of the day: If anyone has advice on how to hang an Ikea Lack floating shelf without hardware, please let me know!

2 comments:

lisaroy said...

what a cute little shelf! And I'm loving your chevron curtains too :)

Hi, I'm Madeline said...

Thanks, Lisa! I'm really enjoying the updating...especially doing it the froogle way!