Monday, March 22, 2010

Featured Artist


lisaroy

1) Tell us a little about yourself. I'm the Lisa behind lisaroy handbags and have been married for 20 years this June (we got married while I was in design school). Gosh, this is making me sound old! I just hit the milestone age of 40 recently which made me reflect on my life and what I really want to do when I grow up. I've been working as an art director for magazines for the past 10 years and just gave that up in the New Year so I can focus on my love of making things by hand full-time.

2) How did you become interested in creating? I've always been the artistic child in the family - always drawing, playing restaurant and designing the menu and telling myself that one day I want to make chocolate bar wrappers much more fun (this was when I was about 6 or 7 years old). I guess design was always my calling! My mother taught me how to sew when I was about 8 and I started making my own doll clothes by hand and showing my friends how to sew. I eventually learned how to use a sewing machine and in high school made my own party dresses and eventually curtains and pillows for my first apartment. My stint as yearbook editor was the start to publishing design but I always continued to create sewn pieces throughout my life.

3) What is your inspiration? I've always had a thing for handbags - my closet is overflowing with them and eventually deciding to create one led me down this path. My inspiration comes from everywhere, really - a photograph, the detail on a blouse, home decor, something I might see while out for a walk or just a beautiful fabric. My husband comes up with some really great ideas too.

4) What is your favorite piece you've made and why? It's difficult to choose just one, since I create each bag as though I were making it for myself so I always love it when it's complete. But the bags from my Vintage Series - using upcycled men's suit jackets may be the most satisfying since it's giving a forgotten jacket an entirely new life and purpose, and I think it's always nice to reuse great pieces.

Lisa's work can be found at lisaroy.etsy.com.

Wanna have your shop featured in my blog? Send me a convo on my Etsy shop.

No comments: