Sunday, March 15, 2009

Featured Artist

JudeMcconkey




Veins of Autumn Leaf



Memory of Roses


1) How did you become interested in creating? I'm pretty sure I was born that way. From the time I can remember I was into art - painting, drawing, you name it. I dabbled in writing from a young age as well and majored in Creative Writing and Art in high school. After I was married at 21 I stopped creating anything but children - 4 kids in 5 years. I just didn't have time, but when they were old enough I started trying to find a creative outlet again. I painted fairly successfully and also became a writer at a newspaper - seemingly everything I wanted to do - but, although I loved it, it seemed hard to me and I was pretty certain stress shouldn't come with something you love to create.

In 2003 I picked up a camera and realized my art background was meant to be expressed through photography. I loved it from the start and it was probably the only thing I've ever done in my life that I had total confidence in. It was easy for me and that scared me a bit because I was worried. I let go of the worry and just fell head first into my own way of doing things. I know my style isn't for everyone, but it makes me happy and I'm proud of what I create.

2) What is your inspiration? What's my inspiration? That is a very hard question! I think I'm inspired by emotion of any kind. I'm a hugely emotional person (what artist isn't?) and when I take a photo then work on it in photoshop I get excited at what happens. Creating a piece I love, in turn, inspires me to want to do more.

3) What is your favorite piece you've made and why? I honestly can't choose one favorite out of all of them but I will say this is one of my NEW favorites: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21350859

Why? because when you first look at it it's haunting and full of atmosphere. I love old abandoned houses full of their secrets. But now look closely at the house. It seems to have a face - two eyes and a mouth that seems to be a bit ascew. It reminds me of old Mickey Mouse cartoons when the whistles tooted and danced. (I swear I'm not making that up..lol) It's contradictory to the creepiness of the scene and I like that.

If you're interested in judemcconkey's work, please visit her Etsy shop at www.judemcconkey.etsy.com

Wanna have your shop featured in my blog?
Send me a convo on
my Etsy shop.

No comments: