Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Featured artist


OpulentOddities




1) How did you become interested in creating? My mother always had my twin sister and I doing something creative. Clay, papier mache, drawing. Then in my high school art classes I began to blossom as a painter. Painting in the styles of Emil Nolde, Edvard Munch and Egon Scheile. After high school I was looking for something else to do. So I started creating jewelry. I always loved antiques and vintage items, so it just seemed natural to start using them in my work. People seemed to like it, so I became pretty successful. Now I'm keepin' on keepin' on and paying my rent with what I create. Nothing is more satisfying, I don't think.

2) What is your inspiration? Antiques, ephemera, romance, tea, layers and layers, masks, kisses, powdered wigs, bones, medical specimen, Victorian hardware, taxidermy, decadence, hedonism, decay, medical gadgets, dulcet treats, curiosities, old dolls, circuses, old sheds and barns. Everyday, my every interactions inspire me, as well as certain musicians and artists. Other Etsy sellers continue to amaze and inspire as well.

3) What is your favorite piece and why? My favorite piece is this one, entitled Mama's Purse. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13273335 Its inspired by my momma, and all momma's I guess. Just her strength, her neverending love, her warmth and acceptance, her patience. Its made out of an antique purse frame with several charms dangling from it. Its one of my most innovative pieces, I think, as I've never seen anything like it before. I've made three total with purse frames, all inspired by my momma. One has sold, one is listed, and the other is waiting to be listed.

If you're interested in OpulentOddities' work, you can visit her Etsy shop at www.opulentoddities.etsy.com

2 comments:

dd said...

Thanks so much for the feature! It was lots of fun! Plus I see you're a LOST fan! Me too! I just looove it!

Cheers!
Jordan
http://www.opulentoddites.etsy.com

Chrisy said...

Good interview with this talented artist...thanks for sharing...